Friday, June 29, 2012

Rasam

Rasam. The brothy soup has almost no substance but more blast in the mouth than any dish I know.  Salty, spicy, sour, umami in equal proportions--the flavors converge and ignite. An Indian friend ordered it in a South Indian dosa restaurant years ago and I thought it too hot, but my taste buds have grown up, and now I ask for it, hoping even in North Indian restaurants where I know it would be out of place.

When I do get a chance to eat rasam, I approach it seriously.  This is not a comfort cup to sip casually like miso. I pause after each spoonful, catch my breath, and down some water or lassi, but to little avail. The fiery, tangy taste has seized my mouth. All I know is I’m distinctly uncomfortable and craving more.

I didn’t want to divide the archetypal taste into ingredients, but then I decided to try cooking it. My homey Indian cookbook called for tamarind, tomato, coconut, chile, black mustard, and an earthy yellow lentil called toor dal.  I trekked to a Berkeley Indian grocer, picked up the toor dal, followed directions, and blended it smooth, but the alchemy did not take place.  I tasted spicy and sour and salty and savory, but the flavors seemed lopsided. They would not ignite.

I'm not sure I want to know the secret. I like to be presented with a bowl of perfect synthesis.

2 comments:

  1. Yum! there are all sorts of rasams too for different occasions and states of being...some for when you have a cold and want it extra spicy, others for when you want it mild and soupy. Check out the cookbook Dakshin for some great rasam recipies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! I love rasams too...you can get different kinds for various occasions and states of being...super spicy for when you need to get flushed and to clear your nasal passages, or else mild and soupy too. Check out the cookbook Dakshin for South Indian recipies.

    ReplyDelete